Sunday, May 4, 2008

Vegan college food...oh the horror.

I guess I should start this thing out with an introduction. How I HATE introductions...like I haven't done enough of them, myspace, facebook, bodymod, livejournal and all of the other online communities I belong to, yet I still hate them.

The name is Caiti, and I am a college freshman. I am tattooed and pierced, an animal lover, music nerd and black sheep of the family. Oh how I love it! My major is Music Industry and my minor is Audio Arts Production. I play guitar and piano [although piano is a miserable failure!] Back home, I have two dogs, a pug named Bella and a Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso named Benji, and also two quarter horses, Vigil and Andy.
I love pretty much all kinds of music, from Hank Williams and Bach to Cradle of Filth and Nickelback. I like EVERYTHING! I love travelling, but haven't done much. Broadway musicals are pretty kick ass too, I've seen Phantom of the Opera twice.

Yeah. Wow. I sound like such a nerd. Ohhh well.

I've been vegetarian for about six months, and vegan for about a month. Yeah, not much, but we all start somewhere.

What inspired me to start this blog was the incredible crap-tasticness of college food. Hell, "normal" students have a hard enough time trying to eat something other than burgers and pizza everyday, throw being vegan on top of that and it's pretty tricky. I think I have eaten enough chickpea and olive salads, and rice and beans and really nasty, squishy tofu to last me a lifetime. I have nothing against tofu, really! It can be okay...certainly not my favorite food, but they do NOT know how to cook it here. They just chuck a block of undrained tofu into whatever they can think of. BLEHHHH! Haha anyways...

That's me. Oh, and don't be expecting any pictures until I get home in two weeks. On my last trip to New York City my camera died a painful death.

Soundtrack for today's post: I'd Lie by Taylor Swift
I Ain't The One by Lynyrd Skynyrd

1 comment:

Tricia said...

More power to you! Vegetarian lifestyle is probably much more healthy than the red meat laden life I live. But I haven't got enough will power to go on a proper calorie restricting diet so I'm sure I can't cut out entire food groups!

So the area of the country where you go to college may have something to do with the horrible food you are finding. ;-) It's not exactly a gourmet paradise! LOL

So you love animals? You should see my latest blog entry - such an adorable animal I found yesterday.